Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DAY ONE

I came home from work and found a miserable, emaciated black puppy in my driveway.  My heart broke for her, and I agonized about what to do.  I have dogs that do not play well with others and did not know if I had anything to offer her.  I went inside to grab a bowl of dog food.  First things first.  I came back out, shook the bowl, set it down, and lo and behold, out of the bushes comes another black and white face.  I saw every bone in their bodies as they scarfed down the food.  I knew that I had to give them small meals no matter how hungry they were.  If they ate too much, in the condition they were in, they could die.  I broke down crying, sitting in my own driveway, cursing the people who had left them like this, and unsure of what I could possibly do for them. 



After they were done eating, I sat with them and lured them to me with treats.  I scooped them up and took them to the vet.  Upon returning home, I put them in the bathroom while I made up a Great Dane sized crate.  I put linens, fresh water, and toys in there and urged them inside.  They slept most of the day and night.  They needed to gather their strength for whatever was ahead of them.

Animal Control was closed and it is always overrun with pit bulls and pit bull mixes anyway.  These girls did not stand a chance.  I figured I could give it until Tuesday, three days, knowing full well that I probably wouldn't find anything for them in the meantime.  I posted on Facebook, Rescueme.org, and gathered helpful information from vets and pit bull rescues.  They were posted on petfinder.com.  I contacted local groups about joining up with them at their offsite adoption events.

That night I had nightmares about my other dogs and woke up to a nasty mess at 5:30 in the morning.  I cleaned up the babies before heading off to work to clean up more babies.  I was frantic.

No comments:

Post a Comment